Monday, May 11, 2009

Staying Out After Sunset

Running and biking in the early morning and late afternoons are prime times to get out on the trails (or even the roads). But, like most others that live and work in reality, the ideal workout times don’t always fit into our busy schedule. Between work, kids, chores, and anything else on the “honey-do” list, it can often be very difficult to find 1-2 hours in the day to get out and really enjoy your workout.

More often then not, we find ourselves either not going out and using the excuse that it is “going to be dark soon” or actually getting it out and putting down the miles regardless of the amount of light left in the sky. I admit that I’ve fallen into both categories and made excuses. However, the other day the running bug wouldn’t leave me alone and so I laced up my shoes and hit the streets; it was about 7:30 pm. By the time I returned home, it was nearly 9 pm and, needless to say, pretty much dark outsid.

While on my run, I saw several other runners who managed to suck it up and get out as well. Thought, it wasn’t exactly easy to see them. You see, not a single one was wearing anything light-colored or reflective. One runner was wearing a white T-shirt, but even as the sun goes down and the street lights turn on, a white cotton T-shirt doesn’t reflect as much light as you might think. Albeit, light-colored clothing does reflect more than black or other dark shades. I myself was wearing a bright yellow shirt with minor reflective accents. But, if I could barely see the other runner; I started wondering if others could see me well enough when I returned to the streets to make my way home.

We've probably all seen the road bike riders (roadies) sporting their neon green windbreakers and their flashing red taillights and other highly-reflective gear. With this in mind, A quick search on the internet turned up a plethora of running gear to help others see you after the sun goes down. Just search “reflective clothing” and you’ll find many vendors selling all sorts of clothing, vests, lighted belts, and other “can you see me now” items. Many of these items can also be found at your local sporting goods store as well.

I plan on picking up a few reflective items for my wife and me for the next time we go out after the sun sets. Sure, I might look like a traffic cone running down the street, but you will have seen me, and isn't that the point?

-LB

No comments:

Post a Comment