Thursday, July 30, 2009

Yes. I am a Trail Runner

Every since I was a baby, my parents would drag our family from our home in the Bay Area up to the Sierra Nevada's to spend time in a mountain cabin. I spent many weekends learning to ride a motorcycle, panning for gold, climbing rocks, and trying to avoid the poison oak. When we were not going to the mountains, we went dry camping at several lakes not far from home. Needless to say, I think dirt is in my blood.

As the years went by, our family stopped going to the cabin as frequently and eventually stopped all together. I gave up motorcycle riding, but soon afterward picked up mountain biking in the early 90's. I still mountain bike today, and will always have a love for two wheels and a trail. However, I have a new passion which arose from several reasons.

About two years ago I got into running for fitness, thanks mostly to my loving wife. I started simple and ran around the block, then more blocks, and then miles. If you've ever run the streets, you know that it is murder on your feet and monotonous on your mind. I live close to where I mountain bike and decided that I would like to try running the trails that I ride.

Running has always been a way for me to refocus and release that pent up energy from a long day at work. Riding was not always about getting exercise, but more about the adrenaline rush and adventure that goes along with it. So, when I combined these two, I get something that gives me all of it in one package. I get the exercise I want, the adventure I crave, and the mental recharge that I need.

Near the trail heads, you usually see a lot of people walking with their dogs or just taking a stroll. But when you get a couple miles in, it's tranquil, revitalizing, and free; just you and nature...and the other occasional trail runner doing the same thing you are...living. Trail running is more than just running on dirt. There is a spiritual aspect of the act that is different for everyone. When I run the roads, I long for companionship, mostly due to the boredom associated with the never-ending sidewalks. When I run the trails, I am never bored. I am surrounded by nature and all of it's wonders. Trail running with a partner is even more enjoyable, because we can share in this splendor together and rejoice after an amazing and life-refreshing experience.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, you never get bored running on trails even though you are all alone. Your description about why you run trails is perfect, very introspective. Check out National Trail Running Day www.trailrunningday.org put together to promote the sport you love, Trail Running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the www.trailrunningday.org link and was going to do just that. I know a few other runners and think getting everyone together for a nice relaxing run would be a great time. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete