Sunday, July 12, 2009

Running My First 10K

I've been looking forward to running my first 10k race for a few months now. Since last year, when my wife ran her first 10K, I've been looking forward to running the same run with her. Well, all the anticipation was all over in about an hour. This morning we ran the Run to the Lake walk/run to support our local hospital trauma center.

Before the race started, the announcer said there were about 1000 people there. It was very different starting will all the walker, runners, as well as the jogging strollers. I'm not used to so many people, but it was a lot of fun. I encourage anyone out there that is thinking about running, or even walking, a 5K/10K to get out there a do it. It is a great feeling passing all the supporters cheering for you and the crossing the finish line makes it worth it.

Because this was my first official race, I wasn't trying to kill myself to finish. Also, my daughter wanted to run the 5K as well. So, we ran with her to the 5K half-way point and then went on to finish the 10K, while she headed back to the finish line. She finished 4th in her age group. Not bad for her first run.

I have to admit, I've caught the race bug. I'm already looking for the next run to participate in. I live to run the trails, so I think I'd like to maybe try a trail run next. There is one coming up in September (a 10k or 20K) that we could probably do. The competition will probably be higher, because more people are able to run the roads than will run the dirt trails. Looks like I'll need to start actually training, instead of just running, the trails.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! You are very encouragaing. I can walk a 10K but run one is not happening. I am just not a runner. Wish I could hang, but would end up out of breath.

    Keep up the good work.

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nina! If you would like to run a 10K, I would suggest trying a 5K first. There were lots of people out there walking and running the 5K. It was a lot of fun being out there with so many other people for a common cause.

    ReplyDelete