Saturday, July 18, 2009

Keeping Hydrated

Summer is a great time to get outdoors and enjoy nature. In California, Summer means dry dusty trails and temperatures that can reach the 90s (degrees) or hotter. Yesterday I went for run in the later afternoon. The temperature was about 85 when I left. I ran my usual route, but made a choice to take a farther run that took me about 3 miles farther for a total of about 8 miles.

There are several places along the way to get water, but I don't usually need it. It was hot so I got a small drink to wet my dry mouth at the Ranger Station. At the fountain, I met two ladies. One asked how I was able to not get heat exhaustion. I smiled and just told her to stay hydrated. I'd been drinking throughout the day and felt pretty good, so I took my drink and headed out.

After about another 30 minutes, I realized that it sure would have been nice to have a little more water with me. The next water wasn't for another 25 minutes farther. I took it easy and made it to the golf course where I enjoyed the much needed drink, albeit warm water. I took a short break and then left to make my way home. It was a great run, but I now realized how important hydration is before, during, and after strenuous workout on a hot and dry day.

When I ride my mountain bike, I always have my CamelBak Classic Hydration Pack with more than enough water. My wife has a CamelBak Montara Hydration Waistpack, but I hadn't though about borrowing it before the run. Now, I wish I had borrowed it.

I decided to check out REI.com and see what they had online. I was please to find that they had a great selection of hydration options, including a variety of hydration belts and waist packs.

There are a lot of choices for those that want to wear, or even carry, their water. I encourage you to look at all the options and see what works best for you. I will probably get a waist pack of either the bladder type or one that holds reusable bottles. Dehydration is no joking matter. Take it seriously and stay safe.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! Dehydration is a very serious matter. And for those who run with dogs, they need water too!

    ReplyDelete