Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Planning My First Official 10K Run

Last year my wife ran the local Run to the Lake event in our home town. I went to support her and waited...and waited. This year we will run it together. It is a 5k/10k walk/run that supports our local hospital trauma center. I'm not much of a sprinter, so we are going to do the 10k. The 10k is not a very long distance, but running with a large group of people (in the hundreds) can be a lot different than running alone of with another person.

I've run this distance and more many times, so finishing the race is not an issue. The most hardest will be running with all of these people, how it will influence me, and possibly make me push myself even harder than usual. The run is July 12th, so I've been increasing my run distances and pushing myself harder. Last night I ran about 7.5 miles on the trails. There are lots of hills on the trails, but the
Run to the Lake path is generally more gradual hills. I'm hoping all the trails running will help.

I've also decided to not include any extra leg exercise (no P90X leg routines) until after the run. I will, however, continue to follow the the P90X schedule (without the cardio, plyo, core, and yoga) and cross-train by mixing in some biking with my running schedule. I plan on posting some pics and the results after the run as well, so stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment