Thursday, June 4, 2009

Trail Etiquette

I been riding and running the trails near my home for over 15 years, and in all those years there is one thing the fails to grasp the minds of many others that also share the trails...Trail Etiquette: the common courtesy you oblige to those around you that have just as much right to be there are you.

I have a unique view on this matter because I both run and ride on the trails. As a rider, I know what it is like to come upon a running/hiker on the trails. It can be startling when you turn a corner and suddenly encounter the single or multiple people blocking the path. You must slow abruptly without crashing or startling the people (startled people have a tendency to jump...in front of you). No one, runner, hiker, or biker enjoys this type of encounter, but it is unavoidable. Common courtesy in these type of encounters is required by both parties. Since, the biker is usually traveling much faster, they should be the one to offer any apologies if an encounter becomes bad. As well, a group of runners should not run the entire width of a trail to help avoid these situations as well.

When a rider approaches a pedestrian from behind, you MUST call out or ring a bell to inform them. Again, a startled pedestrian usually jumps IN FRONT OF YOU. As a runner, if you hear the rider coming from behind, make eye contact and some sort of hand gesture (no, not that one) to let them know you see them.

When I ride, I always call out and typically thank the pedestrian for giving way. As a runner, I appreciate it when fellow bikers call out and thank me that I gave way for them to pass. For the riders that don't call out and the runners that won't give way, you can only assume ignorance or arrogance, the latter can't always be fixed. Let's face it, showing appreciation for one another might pay back when you need it on the trails. I'm more likely to help a stranded rider/runner and mock the arrogant one as I roll past them.

No comments:

Post a Comment