Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Single-Track Mind

If you ask any mountain biker "what is your favorite type of trail to ride," most will immediately tell you "single-track." As a mountain bike rider myself, I would have to agree. However, most single-track trails are usually limited or prohibited for bikes, especially in the SF Bay Area where I do most of my riding.

Now, I am also a trail runner and enjoy running all the trails, especially the single-track trails. I get to experience all the trails in one way or another. Often I wonder what it would be like to ride some of the trails that I can currently only run. Then, I think about what these single-track trails would be like if they were open to mountain bikers as well. And, quite honestly I would not be very happy. I like knowing that I can run on some very nice trails and that there won't be a rider barreling around a corner coming straight at me. My passion for mountain biking and trail running are equal and I am happy keeping them separate on the trails as well.

So, if someone asks me, I would have to say that they should be separate. In my opinion, we should be able to have enough trails for everyone. Shared trails for everyone, single-track for pedestrians only, and then some single-track for bikes only. It's the only way to make everyone happy...and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment